ProGuides New Zealand is the not-for-profit association
of professional tour guides and driver guides in New Zealand

Our mission is to raise the profile of the profession of tour guides whilst maintaining our high standards
of work and customer service in consideration of New Zealand as a tourist destination.


Our organisation promotes professional excellence and sustainable care for New Zealand as a tourist destination. In joining ProGuides you will have a voice – through an organisation with well-established networks and industry relations such as Service IQ, Departement of Conservation - DOC, Tourism Industry Association - TIA and Tourism Export Council.

ProGuides is a member of the World Federation of Tourist Guide Associations (WFTGA) which is an affiliate member of the UN World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) and an official partner of UNESCO.




wftga logo high

code of ethics gcet logo cem en



No, there is no official "license" to work as a guide.

However in order to work legally you MUST have a valid work permit/visa, residency visa or citizenship.

You MUST hold a DOC (Department of Conservation) concession if you guide on PCL (Public Conservation Land), refer to our info in the Members Only Section (Login required) or refer to DOC's website.

You MUST also hold licenses if you are working as a driver guide (P-Endorsement on a NZ drivers license). If you drive a vehicle this MUST also be registered to someone having a Transport Service License issued by Land Transport. This vehicle has to comply as a PSV (Passenger Service Vehicle). For more information read the factsheet of the NZ Transport Agency.

There are also other concessions you might require, such as Auckland Regional Park concession.