Do I need to be licensed to work as a guide?

No, there is no official "license" to work as a guide.

However in order to work legally you MUST have a valid work permit/visa, residency visa or citizenship.

You MUST hold a DOC (Department of Conservation) concession if you guide on PCL (Public Conservation Land), refer to our info in the Members Only Section (Login required) or refer to DOC's website.

You MUST also hold licenses if you are working as a driver guide (P-Endorsement on a NZ drivers license). If you drive a vehicle this MUST also be registered to someone having a Transport Service License issued by Land Transport. This vehicle has to comply as a PSV (Passenger Service Vehicle). For more information read the factsheet of the NZ Transport Agency.

There are also other concessions you might require, such as Auckland Regional Park concession.